Popular Posts

Friday, April 07, 2006

Yemeni Sites Blocked

Via Virtually Islamic

We were contacted yesterday by a Yemeni blogger who reported several instances of possible blocking:

My site, yemenmax.com, only 2 months old, just got blocked today. I believe that it is because I added a blog yesterday to the site. The blog is called Yemen Diary. Both have no adult material or even mention politics. Subsequently they are also now blocking lenaroles.com which is my decor site! In yemen I get a screen that says its blocked because of sex and adult content! That's crazy and not true. I tried having my web host change the I.P. and that did not work. I have contacted the press but things take a long time to happen in Yemen.

There have been instances reported too many times to count of (largely U.S.-made) filtering software overblocking innocuous content. Although ONI's testing did not uncover much overblocking, this may be one of those times.

No comments:

My Google Profile